Breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty, is a safe and effective option for women with large, heavy breasts. Women with large breasts may not only be dissatisfied with their body image, but also experience physical pain and discomfort, including back or shoulder pain. In addition, women may also suffer from skin irritation, bra strap indentations, concerns with posture, headaches, and even physical limitations with activities and exercise.
The best candidates for this surgery include:
- Women whose breasts are fully developed and breasts are enlarged (generally, a size D or larger)
- Healthy women who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Non-smokers (smoking may delay healing and increase the risk of complications).
A consultation with a cosmetic surgeon at Amae Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center is the first step to learn if you are a candidate for the procedure. Dr. Ali can explain how a reduction mammoplasty can improve the appearance of your breasts and relieve pain, discomfort and any associated symptoms you may have resulting from large, misshapen breasts.
How do I prepare for breast reduction?
Preparation for your breast reduction surgery includes:
- Evaluation of your general health and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examination of your breasts, photographs, and possible detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, placement of your nipples and areolas
- Discussing your options, recommending a course of treatment, including any risks or complications
- Discussing the use of anesthesia during your procedure
The success and safety of your breast reduction procedure depends on you being completely open and honest during your consultation. Being able to discuss why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcomes, along with a thorough medical evaluation will help lead to the best end result.
If you are currently considering this procedure, or are just interested in collecting more information at this time, please contact us.